Icegate Solutions consultants have been engaged in all aspects of ICT issues on a Global basis for over 30 years and have been closely involved in the evolution of the sector throughout this period. We have participated and led the development of models and processes that have contributed to Canada’s reputation as a role model for connectivity and e-government. We provide strategic, regulatory, legislative framework, program evaluation, and technology expertise in ICT policy, strategy, planning and implementation; Universal Access; rural telecommunications; broadband; wireless; VOIP; and telecom carrier issues, as well as associated project management and strategic support.
Icegate has been actively engaged in developing ICT Sector policies for the past 15 years. Our approach is to support a transparent and inclusive policy process, promoting fair and open competition, and strengthening institutional capacity to implement and enforce policies. Our efforts have enabled our clients to take advantage of new markets, enhance their business maturity, invest appropriately in research & development, address regional demand, cultivate foreign investment, and improve the ICT labor market. More specifically, we have mapped cellular coverage and made recommendations on the future Universal Services program in Nigeria; developed a national ICT network cabling policy and regulations for wiring and cabling for commercial and government buildings that facilitated and encouraged development of the Botswana ICT sector; provided assistance with the creation of several Broadband for Rural Canada Programs that provided incentives for the ICT Sector to become more engaged in providing ICT services in rural areas; developed a Universal Service Fund Program that provided policies and incentives to assist the further development of the ICT Sector and increase ICT access available in rural communities in Papua New Guinea; undertook a study of Canadian Telecom Equipment Manufactures Global Value Chain; represented the Government of Canada and transferred Canadian ICT Sector capacity building experiences at the Capacity-Building Workshop for National and Sectoral ICT Strategies and Planning; developed ICT Sector development policy, strategy and services (telecom and broadband) rollout plans for rural villages in Botswana that included an ICT policy for diffusion of ICT capacity; performed mobile coverage mapping in Nigeria; and undertook a final evaluation for CIDA/Industry Canada sponsored ePol-NET Program.
Our extensive expertise in strategic and technology planning and business case development, has evolved into a business decision support process, model and software tool that is especially effective in determining the economic feasibility (costs and appropriate plan of action) for the deployment of Universal Service, broadband and rural community networks. We consider business case assessments, sustainability, community aggregation, market forces, market and revenue sizing, traffic sizing, transport network architectures, the full range of technologies and scalability from community to national levels. We have researched broadband service markets that deal with the fundamental elements and economics of broadband services and address how they apply relative to the delivery of high speed Internet service to residential and business customers in currently unserved rural and remote areas. We have also examined the ability of wireless spectrum alternatives to provide broadband (and narrowband where possible) services to unserved rural and remote communities.
Our telecom consultants use their proven processes and procedures, as well as broad knowledge of existing and next generation network technology, to quickly and accurately assess network situations, effectively diagnose current problems, and anticipate future needs. We use a flexible, customized, engineering approach to meet customer’s telecommunications and network needs. Our delivery and implementation services are structured and managed to focus on increasing the performance of processes, tools, technologies, and people. Our expertise in technology analysis, development, design, integration, training, and management, ensures the highest levels of current network performance and reliability, while anticipating future business requirements.
Our services, skills and capabilities are based on hands on engagements that provide the following expertise:
- ICT policies and strategies;
- Analysis of ICT policies and related legislation;
- Development of ICT Policies;
- Redrafting of applicable legislation;
- Translating ICT policy to legislation and the design of new institutions; and
- Implementation of policy and legislation.
- e-Government training was developed and presented in the form of detailed seminars (Enterprise Architecture Standards and Interoperability Frameworks);
- Architect and design of e-Government enterprise communications networks and drafting of required tender documentation for its installation. Involved an analysis of the current infrastructure, requirements assessment and development of network design options and recommendations, network cost estimate, identification of standards required, an implementation plan and tender documents;
- Addressed e-Government standards, interoperability frameworks, enterprise architecture and open source software issues and developed effective knowledge management practices for the storage and retrieval of information to support the change management process; and
- Development of the standards and directives to be respected and followed in the installation of the various communication systems specific to the public administrations and e-Government architecture that will enable modernization of public institutions by the use of electronic tools that will enhance delivery of services, increase the productivity, reduce the operating costs, reduce administrative processes and increase transparency.
- ICT sector analysis;
- Developed strategies for analysis of Broadband access, applications and networks; rural network requirements and solutions internet network evolution and the relationship to evolving telecommunications networks, optical networks, virtual private networking, wireless devices, emerging service providers and services, ICT devices, high speed network access, IP networks, and VoIP (Voice over IP) services and technologies;
- Industry searches; and
- Technological competence studies for investment decision;
- Stakeholder consultations;
- Developed a methodology and approach to ensure opportunity for feedback is provided and stakeholders are encouraged to participate.
- Step-by-step approach that collects and considers all the data to determine a solution that will meet the needs and will be effective.
- Capacity building;
- Provided technical assistance and training in order to build capacity in e-Government standards, interoperability frameworks, enterprise architecture and open source software issues and develop effective knowledge management practices for the storage and retrieval of information to support the change management process;
- Implemented an Internship Program that included training, team participation and engagement in actual deliverables and project management activities that enabled interns to reach a more advanced professional level after the completion of the Project;
- Through stakeholder consultations, we educated the stakeholders on our strategies in an interactive manner that allowed us to adjust to meet the needs and requirements articulated, as well provide a clearer understanding of why our strategies would provide benefits to them; and
- We engage local partners who have benefited greatly from our engagement and are thus able to take on a stronger role in future efforts.
- Universal service – Developed Universal Service Fund Program to make voice and broadband access available in rural communities;
- All aspects of Telecom Operator/Service Provider activity associated with networks, services, planning and implementation;
- Rigorous and through process for conducting needs assessment;
- Telecommunications Market Structure and Regulation; and
- Economic modelling analysis and modelling tools development.